I was in a cooking contest, we needed to come up with a dish that included the ingredients cream cheese and beets. Soup immediately came to mind but I knew it needed something to kick up the recipe and pumpkin was the perfect addition. This is a fabulously delicious soup, not to mention ALL the health benefits you and your kids will get from the pumpkin and beets! If you want to make it dairy-free, you can put in ½ cup of your favorite milk substitute and the soup will still be delish!
- 20 oz. cubed pumpkin
- 8 cooked and sliced beets
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 box (32 oz.) vegetable broth
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 8 oz. low-fat cream cheese
- In a large saucepan, sauté the pumpkin in olive oil over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add sliced beets, mix and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and 8 oz. water.
- Cover partially and cook over medium heat for 25 minutes until pumpkin is very tender.
- Puree the soup with cream cheese and brown sugar in a blender, food processor or soup emersion in batches until smooth.
- I like to use organic "Love Beets", I can usually find these at Costco or Whole Foods.
- You can substitute the pumpkin for any squash.
- I served this soup in shooter cups, adds a bit more fun to the dish!
- You can add a dollop of sour cream before serving.
Like it? Pin it!