I first tasted roasted eggplant when I was traveling in another country and thought it was fabulous! I took notes on the different flavors because I wanted to create it once I got home. I even took photos of the beautiful presentation. After several attempts and the help of many taste-testers who were on the trip with me, I finally nailed it! It’s really a very simple recipe that is delicious with an exquisite presentation! Enjoy!
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 tbsp. pesto
- ¼ cup hummus dip (any brand)
- ½ tsp. salt
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat to 475 degrees.
- Place eggplant on aluminum foil and prick in several places using a fork.
- Bake eggplant 25 minutes on each side until eggplant is very soft, baking a total of 50 minutes.
- Remove eggplant from the oven and let it cool on the foil for 10 minutes.
- Move eggplant to a serving dish and slice it down the middle lengthwise, keeping the top intact.
- Open the eggplant and sprinkle with salt.
- Spread hummus over the flesh of the eggplant and pesto over the hummus.
- This is best enjoyed immediately after making it.
- For an elegant look, chop up 2 tsp. fresh mint and sprinkle over the eggplant.
- Serve with plain pita chips.
Like this recipe? Pin it!