My 8-year-old gets all of the credit for this recipe. Since we are all stuck at home, what’s a food blogger to do — cook! My youngest likes to swap out his “independent learning time” in the morning for some baking time with me and I am more than happy to oblige.
Yesterday we made brownies, the day before banana muffins, somehow Nutella does it make its way into every snack. Today my son asked to make something with mandarin oranges and so we decided to make a mandarin orange cake. This cake took about 4 minutes to prep, the oven was not even at 350 degrees by the time the cake was ready to bake.
This is definitely a recipe we will be making more often! The cake turned out delicious and my house smelled amazing! It was moist, flavorful and such a fun activity to make with your kids.
- 1 (15-18 ounce) package of yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup avocado or canola oil
- 1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges, undrained
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9x13 inch pan or a 10-inch bundt cake pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, oil, vanilla, and beat until smooth (about 2 minutes). Add in the mandarin oranges with juice and lightly fold into the mixture until well blended.
- Pour batter into greased pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
Like it? Pin it!
I love anything with citrus, this sounds delicious
Amber Myers says
Oh yum, this cake looks amazing! I will have to give this a try for sure. Your son did a great job.
Omg, this looks and sounds super delicious and perfect for a Summer dessert!
This looks fantastic! I love how simple it is to make, will give it a try!!!
Amber S Battishill says
I love how simple this looks to make! I bet the mandarins give it some really great flavor!
We made this last week- my kids did it by themselves and it turned out perfect. Thanks for the recipe!
Laura Allen says
I’m obsessed with mandarin oranges!! I had no idea people make cakes out of them!!
This was the easiest recipe I’ve ever made and came out so moist and orange-y. I’ll definitely be making this more often.
Stephanie Rose de Jesus says
Very simple and easy to make! This is really great for kids and kids at heart like me!
Jen @ JENRON DESIGNS says
Yum this looks great and I always think orange brightens every recipe up nicely!