This was one of my first college “gourmet” specialties; caramelized French toast (Step one: drench French toast in sugar; Step two: add more sugar). Since that time, I have a lessened the sugar and like to add some fresh fruit to give some natural sweetness. It is a weekend favorite and super easy to make!
Caramelized French Toast
Author: Momma Chef
- 6 slices challah, brioche, white or whole-wheat bread
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tsp. butter or Pam
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- In a skillet, melt butter or spray Pam over medium heat.
- In a shallow bowl or container, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- Dip bread in egg mixture.
- Cook slices about 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Before removing from the heat, sprinkle ½ tsp. sugar on the french toast, flip and cook 20 seconds.
- Do the same on both sides so the sugar has cooked into the French toast.
- Remove from heat and serve with fresh fruit or syrup.
Agness of Run Agness Run says
Pitch perfect breakfast idea! Can’t wait to taste this toast!
I love French toast so much, but lately I’ve been letting the kids make it for me, LOL! Definitely going to hand them this recipe for this weekend’s batch.
Amber Myers says
Oh yes, I love French Toast. I will be trying this for sure. Looks incredible!
Monica Simpson says
Oh I like this little trick! I can see how it makes regular french toast extra delicious. I’m going to try it!
Stephanie Rose de Jesus says
I love french toasts! I find really easy to prepare and very satisfying!
You had me at caramelized!! MY FAVE!