When my 8-year-old son – a picky eater — came home from school one day and asked me to make chili for dinner, I was ecstatic. I knew the recipe had to be kid-friendly (no green specs of anything could be visible), so that was the night my kid-approved chili was created. All my boys love this meal, which is quite a miracle!
Simple and Kid-Approved Chili
Author: Momma Chef
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 (15 oz.) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 to 16 oz.) kidney beans, drained
- 1 packet McCormick Chili Seasoning, mild
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- In a large pot, add 1 teaspoon oil and brown the meat over medium heat for 5 minutes, breaking up the meat as you stir.
- Pour in tomatoes, kidney beans and chili seasoning and stir to mix.
- Cover, turn the heat to medium-low and cook for an additional 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add assorted toppings, such as shredded cheese, chopped onions or sour cream when serving.
- To reduce sodium, try with McCormick 30% Less Sodium Chili Seasoning Mix or 30% Less Sodium Mild Chili Seasoning Mix.
- If you like a bit more heat, add ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper.
- If you want to make this in a crockpot, add the oil on the bottom, the uncooked beef on the oil, the rest of the ingredients on top of the beef. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours.
Fan of Yummly? Then check out Momma Chef’s recipes on Yummly, you can find them here: http://www.yummly.co/page/mommachef
This recipe is SO EASY!! Can’t wait to try it. Easy dinner is my love language.
Courtney Byers says
OMG yum! If this is kid approved then it would be approved by my hubby too 😉
This looks so flavorful! I’d sub a vegan meat and cheese, but I bet the flavor would still be rich.
As busy as we are, quick and easy is just what we need. Chili certainly fits the bill!
Patricia @ Grab a Plate says
Kid-approved is always a winning recipe! This is perfect this time of year!
Yes, I definetley will try this right a away. Also would substitute the beef 4 Boca crumbles & vegetarian cheese. Can’t wait.