My kids love donuts; probably a favorite dessert of all my 3 boys. So, of course, I wanted to figure out a way to make a homemade healthier version. These cake doughnuts are not fried, they are baked in a hot oven! Use a donut pan and this tasty recipe to create your choice of donuts that are super easy to whip up. All you need is 4 ingredients, a donut pan and in 5 minutes you will have donuts in the oven.
It took several batches of failed donuts before I achieved exactly what I was looking for. The batter is made with simple ingredients that most people already have on hand. And the batter can be mixed by hand making the process much simpler.
If you don’t own a donut pan, you need to get one ASAP. You can have freshly baked donuts in less than 20 minutes that are so much healthier than the fried ones.
The donuts are best when eaten the same day but can be covered and stored at room temperature up to 2 days. You can also freeze donuts for up to 2 months. If frozen, just throw in the microwave for 30 seconds when ready to serve.
- 1 box vanilla or chocolate cake mix (my favorite is the Dunkin Hines Devil’s Food)
- ¾ cup milk (can use water instead if making these dairy-free)
- ¼ cup avocado or vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Lightly spray 2 doughnut pans with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix cake mix, milk, oil, and egg. Mix until well combined.
- Fill each doughnut cup three-fourths full.
- Bake 11-14 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let donuts cool in pan for about 5-10 minutes then remove and let cool completely on wire rack.
Samantha Paul says
Hi karen….! am a big fan of sweets and this donuts looks fabulous and more delicious….i will definitely make this donuts in upcoming few days…..Thanks for sharing…..!
These sound amazing! So quick and easy, I definitely need to try them
Deb B says
Ok I had no idea donuts could ever be this easy and healthy!! I cannot wait to try this with my kiddos. They love donuts as does their dad! This will be a huge hit in my house.
Patricia @ Grab a Plate says
Donuts are my jam 🙂 Love how easy it is to make these — I have the perfect silicone molds for baking donuts, too. thanks for the recipe!
Jasmine Martin says
I never knew you could make donuts with just 4 ingredients. I am going to have to try this recipe out soon.
oh these look so good! I donuts and these are baked!! even better! thanks fro sharing this